Wednesday, January 26, 2011

And the nominees are...

The Oscar nominations were announced yesterday. You can see the full list of nominees here but these are the categories I care about:

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, The Fighter
John Hawkes, Winter's Bone
Jeremy Renner, The Town
Mark Ruffalo, The Kids Are All Right
Geoffery Rush, The King's Speech

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech
Melissa Leo, The Fighter
Hailee Steinfeld, True Grit
Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom

Best Actor
Javier Bardem, Biutiful
Jeff Bridges, True Grit

Jessie Eisenberg, The Soc
ial Network
Colin Firth, The King's Speech
James Franco, 127 Hours

Best Actress
Annette Benning, The Kids Are
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

Best Picture
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception

The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
127 Hours
The Social Network
Toy Story 3

True Grit
Winter's Bone


I want Mark Ruffalo and Helena Bonham carter to win in the supporting categories because they’re awesome, and do really good work that mostly goes unnoticed. Also, I think they would give great speeches.

What?! No Ryan Gosling for best actor? I’m sorry Jeff Bridges you’re cool and everything but you won last year so you’re being greedy. Also, were you in The Notebook- the greatest film of all time? No, I didn’t think so. It’s great to see James Franco on the list. Go and see 127 Hours if you haven’t. It isn’t easy to watch but you’ll be glad you did. Anyway, we all know Colin Firth will win it. I liked him in The King’s Speech but he should have won last year for A Single Man.

No real surprises in the other categories. Natalie Portman will win and make a cutesy speech about her new ballet fiancĂ©. That’s fine, she’s a very capable actress and this is her moment. I just wish she dressed better. I know she’s pregnant but that’s not an excuse (unless the baby stole her style). Still, she’s not the only one in her category that tends underwhelm with her sartorial choices. I’m especially looking at you Michelle Williams. We forgive you for that Valentino monstrosity at the Globes but this is the Oscars, please get a better stylist or stay home.

Finally, I want Toy Story 3 to win best picture. That film made me feel a whole range of emotions. I honestly didn’t think an animated film could do that but it did. I laughed, cried, got anxious, laughed again then went home and tried to retrieve my baby monkey doll from the storage boxes in the spare room. Pixar, you evil geniuses…

The ceremony will be held on February 27th.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment