Wednesday, January 19, 2011

In With the Old

There's been some buzz surrounding it for a while but last night it was evident that Bambah, the new vintage clothing boutique on Beach Road, had finally arrived. Vintage is a fairly new concept in Dubai so it was great to see so many people out showing support. I’ve been a fan of vintage fashion for some time but I’d never gone to any vintage shops in Dubai and so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. Back in London, I would spend many a dreary afternoon in the basement of Beyond Retro or amongst the seemingly endless racks in What Comes Around Goes Around. While going on an epic treasure hunt for the perfect 80’s prom dress has a certain charm, this isn’t what you’ll be doing at Bambah. The collection has been expertly curated. The clothes have been organised either by era or colour or texture and the accessories are artfully displayed on vintage hat stands and furniture. If it’s there and you want it, you’ll find it. Above all, everything is in great condition.
But it's not just the clothes, the boutique itself is gorgeous. Bambah isn’t small but the little touches like the delicate chandelier, the anti-clockwise wall clock and the personal family photos displayed throughout culminate to make the space feel intimate, fun and whimsical.
I eventually squeezed past the throngs of fashion 'it kids' sporting the obligatory ironic eye wear and made my way over to Maha A. Rasheed (pictured above), the brainchild of this whole operation. Maha used to be a part of the corporate world (shudder) but she left it and we’re lucky she did. Doe-eyed and looking absolutely statuesque in her red and black polka dot dress, she was truly in her element. In the little time I had her to myself, she told me that the stock gets replenished every Wednesday but if she gets something in that she really loves, she’ll put it out straight away. This way you’re almost always guaranteed to find a new little gem every time you visit.
Before I end this I have to mention the canapés. They consisted of every single one of my childhood fantasy foods- milk and cookies, jelly beans, popcorn, mini tarts and macaroons. The photo booth was fun and the DJ was great but feed me and I will love you forever. Mabrook Maha!

A look inside Bambah. Quirky, cute and very well organised.


The ever stylish Hibah Halwani and Dana Kadrie


Milk and Cookies!


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment