Wednesday, August 6, 2014

An Education

I grew up in Deira which is now considered old Dubai. I remember walking to the Gold Souk, taking 25 fil abra rides across the creek to Meena Bazaar and going on weekly trips to the fish market.  Deira Fish Market is just down the road from where my family used to live. It was my mother's domain and the place she could demonstrate her incredible bargaining skills and her ability to spot the best produce from a mile away. She was determined to pass these skills on the my sister and I  so every other Friday morning, while my friends in normal households were in bed or watching TV, we'd be down in Shindaga getting lessons in market etiquette. It was crowded and noisy and my mother added to the chorus with 'don't touch!', 'say thank you', 'and hold my hand', 'no thank you'. For a while I probably demonstrated the exact behaviour my mother was trying to discourage however, as I got older I realized that the more cooperative I was, the sooner we could leave. Eventually what used to be an arduous chore, slowly became one of my passions. When I would come home from university I actually looked forward going. I learned where food came from, to appreciate the effort that went into procuring and producing what we ate and the importance of getting to know the people behind the counter. Although my parents are no longer in Dubai and I now live on the other side of town I still try to go as often as I can. My sister and I paid a visit to our old stomping ground last weekend and through the familiar buzz were familiar faces asking 'where’s mama?’ 







Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment