Thursday, August 7, 2014

Qasr In The Sand


We're spoilt for choice when it comes to hotels in Dubai so it might seem strange to drive three hours into the Liwa desert for a weekend getaway but off I went to Qasr Al Sarab armed with my GPS and an excellent selection of snacks. Know that you'll drive for miles. You'll doubt yourself, you'll ask the GPS lady if she's sure, she won't respond. Then, just as you're eating your final chocolate covered pretzel and the paranoia that you've been driving for 200Km in the wrong direction is about to set in, the entrance appears. You will hear a chorus of angels and it will be beautiful.


The resort doesn't disappoint either. It's much bigger than expected but its traditional architecture in allows it to gently blend in with its sandy surroundings. The first thing that strikes me is how quiet it is, then I take in the view and property's remoteness begins to make sense.

I pay a visit to the Anantara spa where the signature treatment is Traditional Rose Hammam. Black olive soap is applied to purify the skin followed by an intense steam and a vigorous exfoliation. A healing rose clay body mask is then applied. Finally, the pièce de résistance in the form of Shiffa gemstone body oil is massaged into my skin. The oil consists of rubies combined with a pure essential oil blend of rose, geranium and sandalwood. The precious stones are incorporated in the oil as they are known to stimulate and balance the heart chakra, detoxify the lymphatic system and stimulate the reproductive system. I'll never look at Ylang Ylang in the same way.


After my treatment, I wander back to my room, collapse on the bed and proceed to nap. 
I dream of rubies. It's probably one of my top 5 naps.


Qasr Al Sarab brings the concept of a modern Arabian adventure to life with attentive hospitality and meticulous attention to detail in an incredible setting.



Tips

- A road trip needs a great playlist and radio reception cuts out about an hour into the drive so get your music in order.
- Take advantage of the lack of light pollution and do some stargazing. The night sky is incredible
- On the way back, stop on the Emirates National Auto Museum.  I'm not a car enthusiast but it's one of the world's most extensive private car collections and definitely worth having a look.
- The speed cameras work.





Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment